Thursday, October 27, 2011

Flow in the Workplace

After listening to the gentleman talk about flow in the workplace, it reminded me a lot of my past employment. People for the most part I think don't really like what they are doing, and as Mihaly stated, if people are bored with their jobs and they're not happy, they will usually rush to get the work done as fast as possible. He suggests that people should become engaged with their work. People look for a sense of happiness with their jobs. People need to find a challenge with their job in order to make it more rewarding, they also need to perfect their skill level in order to become proficient in what they are doing and lastly, they need to focus on that task at hand, because that would shift their negative feelings towards their job. I recall in my last job that it got to the point that I hated going to work. I worked in a highly creative job, I was a floral designer for almost 10 years. But, I would add, that when you have owners who tend to be negative and who always dwell on negative things and who always dwell on mistakes, then there really is no room to move forward in that job. It can become extremely stifling and often times, it become detrimental to your health. It was actually making me ill. My staff quit because they couldn't take the constant daily negative comments. In order for employees to be happy, they need to feel appreciated and they need to know that they are valued.
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment