Friday, November 4, 2011

Cognitive Biases

Having looked over the list on cognitive biases, I'm not sure if I actually can relate to 5 or 7 of the biases. I went over the list several times and I came up with two that I know that I have used. The Positivity Effect is when older adults remember relatively more positive than negative things, compared with younger adults. I know that I always try to focus on the positive, especially when I'm surrounded at times by the negative things. In this day and age, its hard to be happy with the way the economy has just about destroyed my husband and myself. But, I always try to look to the positive, and remembering my childhood always helps with that. I personally don't feel that it is a bad bias to have. I really would not look to change it. And the other one that I sometimes find myself doing, is the Hostile Media Bias. This is the tendency to see a media report as being biased due to one's own strong partisan views. I just think that I really need to be more open to other opinions. Granted, it may not be something that I would totally agree with, but I would at least take what's being said and maybe look at it from a different perspective. Maybe by reframing what is being said, maybe it would be more appealing to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment